Accommodations and Getting to Mason
Everyone will be staying at the Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, Fairfax, VA.
Transportation to and from GMU
The classroom portion of the Institute will be on George Mason University’s Fairfax campus, in Room L102 in Exploratory Hall.
Each morning at 8:30am a hotel shuttle will take you to the GMU campus, and each afternoon at 4:15pm, it will bring you back to the hotel. If you miss a shuttle, you may need to call a cab.
Other Transportation Options
- Fairfax Connector bus, within the immediate area, and to other parts of Northern VA.
- “Gunston Go” bus service from Sandy Creek shelter (our pick up and drop-off point at GMU), to Fair Oaks (near your hotel) and other shopping areas in Fairfax, including Fair Lakes (near a Target, Best Buy), http://shuttle.gmu.edu/13-14%20schedules/summer2014gunston.pdf
- Metro, Try the Trip Planer to plot your course around Metro train (subway) and buses. The closest stop to you is Vienna/GMU at the end of the orange line.
Campus Fitness & Wellness Options
- GMU Fitness Centers: Guest fees: $12/day
- Summer fitness classes, include Zumba and Cardio Kickboxing
- Free summer yoga for wellbeing Thursdays noon to one.
What is Near the Hotel?
- Across the parking lot is the Fair Oaks Mall that includes an Apple Store, and many restaurants.
- Fairfax Corner, is about 1.5 miles from the hotel, and offers restaurants, a movie theater, and shops.
- A Whole Foods is also about 1.5 miles from the hotel.
Quick Reference Map
Activities in Washington
- DCist, for news and events in and about DC.
- Museums: http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/museums/
- Free in DC blog with up-to-date listings of free activities in the area.
- City of Fairfax Farmers Market,Saturday and Sunday.
- The BIG Maze at the National Building Museum.
- Reading room tours at the Folger Shakespeare Library (registration required, Saturdays only).
- The National Mall, home to museums, monuments, and the U.S. Botanical Gardens. Use Histories of the National Mall on your phone to enhance your visit.