- “Throwing Open the Doors” in Bill Adair, Benjamin Filene, and Laura Koloski, eds. Letting Go?: Sharing Historical Authority in a User-Generated World, 2011, 68-123. View reading here.
- Andrea Witcomb, “The Materiality of Virtual Technologies: A New Approach to Thinking about the Impact of Multimedia in Museums,” in Fiona Cameron and Sarah Kenderine, eds, Theorizing Digital Cultural Heritage (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2007) 35-48. View reading here.
- Nancy Proctor, “Digital: Museum as Platform, Curator as Champion, in the Age of Social Media,” Curator: The Museum Journal 53, no. 1 (January 1, 2010): 35–43. View reading here.
- Jeffrey Inscho, “Guest Post: Oh Snap! Experimenting with Open Authority in the Gallery,” Museum 2.0 (March 13, 2013). http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2013/03/guest-post-oh-snap-experimenting-with.html.
Morning (9am to 12pm)
- Digital Methods: Collaboration and community sourcing of cultural heritage projects, with undergraduates and subject enthusiasts.
- 12:00 Lunch, provided, with talk with guest Effie Kapsalis, Head of New Media at Smithsonian Institution Archives, on Smithsonian community and crowdsourcing efforts
- Hands-on Session 1: Together with Kapsalis, participants will develop a crowdsourcing activity for an art history course.
- Project Planning: Participants will think about collaboration and establishing different types of partnerships, including ways to invite non-scholarly audiences into their assist with source annotating or gathering for individual projects.
- Notes from today’s discussion
- 4:00 Close — Bus: 4:15
- HistoryPin: http://www.historypin.com/
- Metadata Games: http://www.metadatagames.org/british-library/
- Tag You’re It!: http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/tag_game/start.php
- Fill the Gap: http://eyelevel.si.edu/2009/03/in-this-case-fill-the-gap.html
- VanGoYourself: http://vangoyourself.com/
- Summer of Sculpture, http://summerofsculpture.tumblr.com/
- Nina Simon, The Participatory Museum. http://www.participatorymuseum.org/
- Chan, Seb, “Spreadable Collections: Measuring the Usefulness of Collection Data,” Museums and the Web 2010: Proceedings (Toronto: Archives & Museum Informatics, 2010). http://www.archimuse.com/mw2010/papers/chan/chan.html.
- Smithsonian Social Media Policy (2011), http://www.si.edu/content/pdf/about/sd/SD-814.pdf
- Mechanical Turk
Please fill out another quick, mid-institute, survey to tell us how things are going.