- Roy Rosenzweig, “Scarcity or Abundance? Preserving the Past in a Digital Era,” American Historical Review 108, 3 (June 2003): 735-762. http://chnm.gmu.edu/essays-on-history-new-media/essays/?essayid=6
- Harald Kraemer, “Art is Redeemed, Mystery is Gone: The Documentation of Contemporary Art,” in Fiona Cameron and Sarah Kenderine, eds, Theorizing Digital Cultural Heritage (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2007), 193-222. View reading here.
- Tim Sherratt, “It’s all about the Stuff: Collections, Interfaces, Power and People,” Discontents (November 2011). http://journalofdigitalhumanities.org/1-1/its-all-about-the-stuff-by-tim-sherratt/
- Isabella Kirton and Melissa Terras, “Where Do Images of Art Go Once They Go Online? A Reverse Image Lookup Study to Assess the Dissemination of Digitized Cultural Heritage,” Museums and the Web 2013: Proceedings (2013). http://mw2013.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/where-do-images-of-art-go-once-they-go-online-a-reverse-image-lookup-study-to-assess-the-dissemination-of-digitized-cultural-heritage/
Morning (9am to 12pm)
Afternoon (1pm to 4pm)
- Hands-on Session: Scavenger Hunt
- Hands-on Session: Deep exploration of digital repositories
- Close at 4pm. Bus: 4:15.
- Project Planning: Identify relevant digital repositories and consider ways to create an intentional archive of sources for our next day. Blog about it.
Review one site for tomorrow afternoon, think about criteria for evaluating site.
- Van Gogh Biography, Random House companion site: http://vangoghbiography.com/, Tarver, Sandler
- Van Gogh Museum, Van Gogh Letters, http://vangoghletters.org/vg/letters.html, Rinalducci, Rhor, Amundson
- National Gallery of Art, Dutch Paintings of the 19th Century, online catalog
http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/research/online-editions/17th-century-dutch-paintings.html/, Newberry, Murphy
- Medieval People of Color: http://medievalpoc.org, Quinn, Osborne-Bender
- Posts on [Untitled] blog, from Walker: http://blogs.walkerart.org/visualarts/ , Micklewright, McKay, Bauer
- Posts on Art History Teaching Resources: http://arthistoryteachingresources.org/, Lobel, Kristan-Graham, Boutin-Vitela
- SmARTHistory: http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/, Kovacs, Kitzinger, Gluzman
- App:Timeline Art Museum — available for both Android and iPhone, Kilroy-Ewbank, Hoover
- App: Love Art, National Gallery, UK: http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/news/iphone-app, Glover, Codell