- Linda Shopes, “Making Sense of Oral History,” Oral History in the Digital Age. http://ohda.matrix.msu.edu/2012/08/making-sense-of-oral-history/
- Chuck Tryon, “Using Video Annotation Tools to Teach Film Analysis,” Profhacker. http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/using-video-annotation-tools-to-teach-film-analysis/57171
- John Resig, “Using Computer Vision to Increase the Research Potential of Photo Archives.” http://ejohn.org/research/computer-vision-photo-archives/
- “Cultural Analytics,” Software Studies Initiative. http://lab.softwarestudies.com/p/cultural-analytics.html. (Watch the intro video, scroll down to the description of the work at the Software Studies lab, and explore some of the examples.)
Morning (9am to 12pm)
- Discussion of Copyright
- Introduction to collections with audio and video resources.
- Oral History in Art History (Kelly Quinn)
- Digital Methods: Collection, display, and annotation of images, material culture images, audio, and video using different web-based tools
- Break for lunch at Noon
Afternoon (1pm to 4pm)
- Hands-on Session: Annotating with ThingLink.com
- Hands-on Session: Annotating with YouTube
- Hands-on Session: Annotating and linking in Scalar
- Hands-on Session: Building digital narrative
- Close at 4pm. Bus: 4:15pm.
- Consider how to incorporate different types of resources into your digital project for analysis.
- Select platform for one-click installation on your domain.
- Consider resources available at home institution, and willingness to work with different platforms.
- ArtBabble, videos with artists, museum exhibition mini-documentaries
- Archives of American Art oral history collections
- Oral History in the Digital Age: http://ohda.matrix.msu.edu/best-practices/
- Oral History Metadata Synchronizer, and Intro Video
- College Art Association Intellectual Property Resources, http://www.collegeart.org/ip/
- Guide to Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States, Cornell:
- Fair Use Checklist, Cornell, http://copyright.cornell.edu/policies/docs/Fair_Use_Checklist.pdf